Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday Evening Ramblings

This entry is going to be more of an update, as our world is still quite occupied by various do-it-yourself projects and then hasty departures as other families clomp through our house and judge us accordingly.

At least that is what it feels like to me. I feel like laying my home open to these strangers that I will never lay eyes on gives them free reign to make any observations or comments they like. Of course this is just me being paranoid and its all part of the process, but it doesn't make my feelings any less real. Over all though, I must say I am passing the days at a very low stress level. I am usually the one who obsesses over every detail and cannot sit still until I hear every word about how it went, but at the moment I am just going with the flow. My only frustration is that as of yet we have no "for sale" sign. In our small, predominately military town we are on the cusp of what we affectionately refer to as "posting season". All the 'messages' come out - directives on where you are to commence what position and when (literally a sheet of paper filled with dozens of illegible codes and acronyms where the only thing you can possible decipher is the town you're going to and the date you're to be there. I'm not kidding.) - the houses start going up for sale and then the house hunters from other military bases begin arriving. As we are in the lower priced, starter home area our target buyers are people who are currently living in PMQ's (military housing) or even locals still living at home. Privates newly trained or small families just starting out. Not people with houses to sell elsewhere. So it was important for us to get our house on the market very early in the game, to catch those who only need their message to house hunt. Those like us have to sell our houses first and therefor we do our shopping later in the season. Make sense? So as the house hunters arrive on weekends and do most of their serious looking early in the week (to allow for negotiations and inspections later in the week - you only have 5 days) it is necessary to have a sign on your front lawn to announce your intentions to all those who drive by. We've been on the market since Thursday and still no sign. I am frustrated, but still, I must say, not officially stressed. Perhaps thats because in two days we had two viewings, both with very positive feedback and one who is very interested. However as many more houses will be going up on the market this week they all want to take another day or two and do the complete tour. Make sense to me, I just hope we win out in the end.

So now, as with anything in the military, its a waiting game. Hurry up and wait, as my mother in law often says. Its true and so as I do that I become the cleaning natzi and try in vain to keep this house spotless at all times. I must admit that our family is one who requires a certain amount of motivation. Where I can harp for days on end about cleaning up after themselves and making their beds, all I have to say now is "we're having a viewing!" and everyone pitches in until its clean. I should have put this house on the market six years ago!! So still, no stress. On Tuesday we get to meet with IRP for the first time, that should be fun. IRP is another military acronym that I don't know the real name for (and don't care) which basically stands for a group of people whose entire job is to facilitate your move. Sounds helpful but the truth is they are much hated and not always pleasant. The rules change every year, nobody ever really gets the changes entirely and they are not exactly known for being completely forthcoming with all the details on what you can claim in your move and what you can't. Anyway, IRP (actually they go by a different name now but damned if I can remember it) it is and that will get the ball rolling on this move. I have already received a ton of information from the support unit of CANSOFCOM (Canadian Special Operations Forces Command) where Steven is posted. They are direct support for the families of the SOF and are separate and in addition to the Family Resource Center on Base. They have a package to help you find all the support and info you may need before even arriving in Petawawa and I must say I am super impressed. I'm not sure if the difference is the Army Base vs the Airforce Base or if its simply because of the SOF unit, but I am likely it already.

So as usual my short update has turned into a long speech but nonetheless, that is where things stand with me, with us, and this is where my head is as we begin a new week. And since my blog counter keeps going up I am assuming -quite happily! - that people are actually reading this!

No comments: