Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Day it all began

Today was a special day. Not only was it the 12th birthday of our beautiful daughter and first born, but it marked the day that changed everything for us: the day we became parents.

The birthday of every child is important and I faithfully spend the evening before and the day of each of my kids' birthdays remembering and remarking on the miracle of their birth. I dig out the pictures, tell the story once again to anyone willing to listen (and even to those who've heard it a million times), I hug and kiss them a little more than usual and send a heartfelt thanks to God for the gift of that baby.

But 12 years ago yesterday, we had no idea what we were in for. It was a special time, a time when Steven and I went from a newly married couple to nervous, expectant parents. We were young, totally unprepared and had the odds stacked against us. But we knew two things for sure: we loved each other, and we loved our new baby. 12 years ago today, we went from the two of us against the world to the three of us against the world.

And my how far we have come! Morgan brought us an immeasurable amount of joy right from the beginning. I don't want to say that parenting came naturally to us, but she made it easy. She became the centre of our worlds and changed every fibre of our beings. Morgan made us a family, she bound us together in a way noone else could and we will forever be grateful to her for that.

12 years later I look at her and am awed by the person she has become. She is beautiful, confident, kind and giving....and a wonderful role model and positive influence on her younger brother and sister. Sometimes I look at the family we have produced and I all of a sudden wonder where they came from! At times it feels like we went from two crazy in love teenagers trying to figure out the world to two deeply in love adults with three children, completely overnight. But when I take the time to really sit and think - to remember - all the cherished memories, the first steps, the tiny giggles, the scraped knees, the highs and lows both, I become humbled at the blessings we've been given.

Its a good life, with great people to live it with. And to think it all started 12 years ago today...

Happy birthday Morgan, you'll never know how much you mean to us xoxo

No comments: